Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What a difference an ocean makes ...

... London in April. (Hat tip, Maxine Clarke.)

Here we are enduring one of the colder Aprils on record, I gather. Of course, I am old enough to remember one May in the 1950s - I remember it because it was last the day of the school year - that was so cold and rainy we had to have to heat on. This past January was one of the mildest on record, but was followed by one of the coldest Februarys ever. March was pretty nice until spring ariived. It's been mostly unseasonably cold ever since. (In January, people kept pointing to the cherry trees along the drive here that were blossoming. A more pertinent observation would have been that no native species was taken in by the warm weather. Philadelphia's weather - and I speak as a native - is unusually variable.)

4 comments:

  1. Although I'm not happy about continuing to don winter wear, I'm more concerned about my garden than myself. Here in northwest NJ, tulips have yet to bloom, most of my narcissus have fizzled without flowers, and the crocuses are downright confused. It frustrates me even more when I go visiting in eastern NJ and see all the spring flowers that are already up and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya gotta move to Philly, Marydell! The daffodil in my tiny patio garden has bloomed and the tulips are about to. South Philly is just barely warm enough for that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weather aside, I may be driven across the border soon enough by our taxes and rampant development. My dream is to someday buy my own mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You want to go to Sullivan County. (So do I, but my wife doesn't.)

    ReplyDelete