Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sarah, Ed, and Brooklyn ...

This time last week, Debbie and I were strolling through Brooklyn's Prospect Park in the company of Ed Champion and Sarah Weinman, both of whom had reviewed for me, but whom I had never met. Prior to the stroll through the park we had had brunch at a place called Dizzy's (very nice).
"I would love to have had him in class!" Debbie said of Ed during brunch. And indeed Ed is just the sort of over-the-top ideaphoric type one would infer him to be from his writing. Had we met in high school we would have made a wonderful pair of enfants terribles. (I think that God, in His infinite wisdom, decided to spare the world that by assigning us to different generations). Oh, and he can be very funny.
I had not known that Sarah hails from Canada, but I was pleased to discover our mutual admiration for Elizabeth Smart's By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept. We both think it is not a novella, but a genuine prose poem. Sarah, by the way, is one of those quietly brilliant and lovely young women it is nice to know do exist outside novels.
I may have more to say about all this later on, but right now I have to get ready to head to South Jersey. One thing Ed said that struck a spark in my mind was that he leaves the computer entirely alone when the weekend arrives. I may well start doing the same. Everybody deserves a day. Anyway, they may be a few posts scheduled after this, but I won't be back to the computer until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for the kind words, Frank. It was a great pleasure to meet you and Debbie too!

    ReplyDelete