Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Uneasy relationship ...

... “1952 Vincent Black Lightning”: Lyrics That Tell Us What We’re Not.

Can't comment on this. Richard Thompson is one those people everybody was always telling was a genius, but I never got around to listening -- and I remember when he was performing with then-wife Linda. Probably had something to do with my associating him the the folk-music scene to which I am unusually averse. All that peace, love and understanding causes me to break out in hives.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not very familiar with his early work with Fairport Convention, but Mr. Thompson's later efforts with his then-wife Linda and subsequent work are definitely not of the peace, love and understanding variety. More like the dark tea-time of the soul, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just saw something called "Shoot Out the Lights" in YouTube and I see what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah, that's the title cut from the album I'm most familiar with. It also includes "Wall of Death" and a nice little ditty called "Did She Jump or Was She Pushed?" that talks about a woman "lying in a pool of herself with a broken neck". Always liked that song, but I'd stress that in no way do I find it inspiring.

    ReplyDelete