Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dishabille as art...

...Conversations in the nude

By far, the most interesting part of what I do is asking people if they would pose naked for me. They instantly imagine I have ulterior motives. Very few take the offer at its face value. I get varied reactions—chiefly outrage, of course. I am told: “Are you out of your mind?” “Do you know what you are asking?” “You dirty pervert.” A 35-year-old working woman tersely said, “I am married.” “So bring your husband along,” I said. (She later posed for me, but not in her husband’s presence.)

2 comments:

  1. One of the odder experiences in my life was standing in front a finely painted nude while having a conversation with the model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very much in the spirit of artist Frederick Franck: painting the real person, capturing their person, not idealizing them, but presenting them honestly. It's a good model for drawing/seeing.

    I ask folks to pose nude for me regularly, as well. And they do. Prudery and shame are the first things that evaporate when they actually get past their own fears.

    ReplyDelete