Monday, July 27, 2009

Hmm ...

... MB Meditates on MA.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for Mary Beard, but I wonder. So the meditations are a commonplace book, routine reminders of what the philosophical Roman was expected to bear in mind. Well, I think there is much to be said for a man in Marcus's position taking the time to do that. And the choice of what he wrote down presumably was his own - those commonplaces that meant something to him, which tells us something about him. I don't recall that Marcus anywhere suggests that he is an original thinker. Come to think of it, original thinking may be at times overrated. It's sound thinking we need more of.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:32 AM

    I don't think anyone ever reads, or pays attention to you blogging on about random things. The only comments you have so far are from me, myself, and I, so why waste your time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nonsense, lots of people pay attention. I read all of Frank's thoughts with great interest and care, whether I happen to comment or not. Sometimes quiet reflection is more telling than noisy commentary.

    ReplyDelete